Sunday, November 8, 2009

Efficacy

I believe that a teacher's efficacy is vital to their career. One's self-awareness and confidence is essential to how they are going to teach. If a teacher does not have confidence in themselves the student will not have confidence in the teacher. 
Even if you are scared or nervous as a teacher, I would recommend that you should try not to show it. The reason why I say that is because I have had teachers in the past who you could tell on the very first day how nervous they were. As students when the teacher was scared it showed us that we had the power to influence him or her. We could get away with more. If the teacher does not have persistency he or she will eventually just give up on a project or on their students. Things don't always work the first time. As a teacher you need to try again. Lead by example. Have a good work-ethic and be persistence. If you want your students to work hard and keep trying you need to as well. Teacher's must have confidence in what they are doing. I know as a student I easily pick up on the mood of my teacher and often my mood changes to match theirs. So if I see that a teacher is not really confident in what they are teaching I am going to be apprehensive about what I am learning and less likely to remember it or pay attention if I don't think it is all that important. 
It is clear that confidence is important however it is not as clear how to gain that confidence. I feel like a teacher can gain efficacy by coming prepared. Know what you want to teach and stay with it. If something is not working, even after a little persistence than stay open to new ideas. I know I will be very nervous for my first year of teaching. I am going to try to prepare for it by being well organized and flexible. Every class will be different. I need to be confident in myself to adapt to the class, but at the same time be persistent in what I have prepared. If I show confidence I think the students will be more likely to trust me. Efficacy is so important when it comes to teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment