Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Authenticity

According to a web definition of authenticity, authenticity is the quality of being genuine or not corrupted from the original; Truthfulness of origins, attributions, commitments, sincerity, and intentions. Most people would argue that authenticity is a good quality to have, but is it a quality that we want displayed in our teachers? I know as I become a teacher certain things that I personally believe and was taught at a young age such as hard-work, dedication, kindness, respect and more will reflect in my teachings. The things I feel strongly about will probably be more evident than the things I don't care for as much, however as a teacher I know I can't always express the things I feel strongly about. I think there is a line that I believe that teachers should not cross when it comes to authenticity. I don't think it is wrong by any means to tell your students about your origins and where your from. I have had teachers who used to tell me home stories every once in a while and it made me feel more comfortable with them, especially at a young age when you don't think your teachers have lives outside of school. However I also recall having a teacher who was never afraid to give his opinion on his personal beliefs. I feel that when he did tell us what he believed in on certain issues we as students would often side with him because we thought that since he is the teacher he must have the right answer. We really did not get a chance to form our own opinions. As a teacher you can stay true to yourself and your opinions but also teach other opinions as well. For example when learning about evolution my teachers stayed neutral they did not tell us if we should believe in it or not, they just told us the facts and statistics behind us, and showed us arguments for and against it. Some of my teachers had a religious background and did not believe in evolution, but you could not tell at the time.  I guess what I am trying to say is as a teacher I do not object to telling your students a little bit about your origin. Connect to them on a personal level. When I felt more connected with my teachers I felt they were less fake and less like a textbook and more like a teacher. As a teacher be who you are, but don't let it influence what the students decide to believe in. Stay neutral show both sides of arguments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment